Members of Russian dance, song, and music ensemble Barynya - Mikhail Smirnov, Elina Karokhina and dancer Alisa Egorova - performed public concert at the Fort Lee Public Library in Northern New Jersy on Sunday, December 6th. More then 150 people attended the show. Ensemble Barynya presented Siberian Nanai, Russian, Russian Gypsy, Russian Jewish, Ukrainian, Tatar, and Cossack dances, songs, and music.
Program of performance:
01. Siberian wrestling dance (Áîðüáà Íàíàéñêèõ ìàëü÷èêîâ)
02. Kalinka, Russian folk song. Introduction of Russian Garmoshka-Accordion (ÊÀËÈÍÊÀ)
03. Kamarinskaya, Russian traditional. Introduction of the Balalaika (ÊÀÌÀÐÈÍÑÊÀß)
04. Dr. Zhivago's "Somewhere, My Love" (Lara's Theme) - Äîêòîð Æèâàãî
05. Russian Tongue Twisters Medley (ÑÊÎÐÎÃÎÂÎÐÊÈ)
06. Russian song and dance “The Snowstorm” (ÌÅÒÅËÈÖÀ)
07. World Music Balalaika Medley (ÏÎÏÏÓÐÈ)
08. Those Were The Days, My Friend, Russian Gypsy song “Äîðîãîé äëèííîþ»
09. Jewish Wedding Dance (Åâðåéñêèé òàíåö ñî ñâå÷êîé)
10. Jewish-Russian Medley Hava Nagila, 7:40, Felt Boots (instrumental)
11. Russian table song “Frost” (Îé, ìîðîç-ìîðîç)
12. Roma Gypsy dance “KAYONE”
13. Romani Gypsy song and dance “TWO GUITARS” (ÄÂÅ ÃÈÒÀÐÛ)
14. The Second Waltz by D. Shostakovich (Ä. ØÎÑÒÀÊÎÂÈ×. Âàëüñ ¹2)
15. Rondo Alla Turca by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - ÌÎÖÀÐÒ, Òóðåöêèé Ìàðø
16. Medley of Russian folk songs (Âåíîê Ðóññêèõ íàðîäíûõ ïåñåí)
17. "Csardas" by Vittorio Monti - ×àðäàø Ìîíòè
18. The Moon Is Shining Brightly – Òàíåö ìåäâåäÿ
About Mikhail Smirnov, singer, garmoshka player:
Mikhail Smirnov was born in Moscow, Russia. He has been in the business of Russian folk dance and music for more than 25 years. Mikhail is an artistic director and founder of ensemble Barynya based in New York City, author of many articles about traditional Russian dance, music and instruments in English and Russian. Mikhail received his Master's degree from the Moscow State University of Culture and Arts. As a child, he was a member of the famous "Moscow Boys Chorus" - one of the most prestigious all-male choirs in Russia. Before coming to the United States in 1991, Mikhail was a soloist in a several Russian folk dance and music groups including the Moscow State Center for Russian song, "Russkaya Pesnya", under the direction of Nadezhda Babkina, ensemble "Moskoviya" under the direction of Valeriy Kuz'mich Nesterov. In January 2009 Mikhail Smirnov and dancers of ensemble Barynya were featured on national TV, NBC's "SUPERSTARS OF DANCE" - breathtaking international dance competition led by executive producers Nigel Lythgoe and Simon Fuller (American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance). This prestigious dance competition hosted by Michael Flatley ("Lord of the Dance") and Susie Castillo, a former Miss USA. Mikhail Smirnov was one of eight judges to decide which country will win. The show premiered on NBC network.
About Elina Karokhina, the balalaika virtuoso, singer, dancer:
Balalaika virtuoso Elina Karokhina was born in Leningrad (now Saint Petersburg), Russia. She began her formal training at the Mussorgsky Music College of St. Petersburg and continued her training at N.A. Rimsky-Korsakov Saint Petersburg State Conservatory, earning a degree as an Orchestra Soloist. She continued her training at the St. Petersburg State Conservatory, which included a brief residency in Germany. After, she returned to her native St. Petersburg and completed her education, earning a Doctor of Musical Art degree in the Balalaika. Following her graduation, she began working as a musician, both as a teacher and as a performer, teaching balalaika. Elina Karokhina served in the Russian Army in the Military Ensemble in the Northwest Order of Red Stars. As a balalaika soloist Elina has toured all over the world. When she moved to the United States in 2009 she was hired as a musicial director and soloist with the biggest professional Russian music, song and dance ensemble "Barynya".